Sunday, May 22, 2016

Mother's Day 2016 and our Mini-adventure


     I missed the Tolling last week, because Sunday was Mother’s Day, and I got to be a lazy bum, eat take out, and play all day.  I can’t believe it’s been almost three and a half years since my little guy was born.  Now he’s a big rotten turdmonkey with a lot of sass figuring out his independence.  He breaks my heart, makes me proud, and infuriates me all at the same time, sometimes literally all in the same instant. 



     We were going to go on a picnic, but weather didn’t permit that.  It rained off and on all day long.  During one of the off periods, we went out to the swing and played for a little while.

     Pa made this for me out of a bit of scrap wood and Little’s fingerprints.  I may or may not have leaked a bit around the eyes when Little brought it to me and said, “Happy Mother’s Day, Mama!  I love you!” Exactly how Pa had coached him to just a few seconds before LOL. 


     I’ve spend nearly every day this past week typing my fingers off.  I had an expedited job that had to be turned around in 24 hours, and I haven’t really had much time for even setting up blog posts, let alone fleshing them out and posting them.  Today, I decided was going to be a day off from paid typing, and maybe just a lazy day in general.  That didn’t quite work out as intended. 

     This weekend, the weather was nice, if a bit warm, and I decided just before lunch that we should go on a mini adventure.  Pa grabbed a quarter, we hopped in the truck, and off we went.  We flipped heads or tails to turn or not, then heads or tails for left or right.  In dash sat-nav makes this a lot easier than stopping at every intersection.  We could flip the coin well ahead of time.  We came across Pizza Hut right around lunch time, and since it’s Little’s favorite, we stopped in for the lunch buffet.  Of course, today was the only day ever that kid had zero interest in pizza.  He was, however, very interested in all the young ladies who were working.  He played peek-a-boo over the back of the booth with the girls behind the counter and made monster faces at them.  They made monster faces and peek-a-booed right back, which he loved. 

     When we got back in the truck, he asked very sweetly to go to the slide, so we took a roundabout route back to our own little town and went to the park.  He had a blast, up until two trains had a face-off.  The park is next to the tracks, and despite the fact that he is infatuated with trains, they scared the crap out of him with their repeated horn blasting.  It was a bit loud, but we’ve actually parked next to the tracks so he could watch the train go by before and he was okay with it.  This was his first time being so close without being buckled in his car seat.  That feeling of exposure may have made him insecure. 


     Around about that time, we figured it was time to head home.  It was over 80, and we were all getting pinkish from the sun.  That was when the day turned.  By the time we got home, I felt like it was way past adult beverage time, so Little man got sent to his room to chillax for a bit.  He was hangry, because a mango fixed it once he calmed down enough to ask nicely and not scream at me.  Whew lawdy mercy, this boy and his attitude.  I don’t know where he gets it.  *cough-cough*

     It was a good day, despite the bumps, but now Pa and I are both footsore and pooped, the child is in bed, and we are getting ready to put our feet up and have story time.  I read Pa bedtime stories.  He’s not a reader, but he’s discovered he enjoys being read to.  This allows me to share my rather ravenous love for books with him without him having to read the Cliff Notes. 

     I hope all the mamas reading this had a lovely weekend last weekend and were spoiled at least a little, and happy belated Mother’s Day!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Talk to me!