Saturday, May 14, 2016

Baked Cod and Tater Rounds

     My sister-in-law is a wonderful cook.  She has gotten me to eat fish more willingly than I ever have before.  Last time I visited her, she did a deep-fried dinner of cod filets and home fries.  It was delicious, but while I freely admit I will never be thin again, there’s no need to add cholesterol and heart problems to my list of problems.  So, I figured I’d try baking it.  This turned out to be quite tasty, and since both the potatoes and the fish cook at the same temperature, the majority of the meal is hands-off and frees you up for other things, like tickle wars with little boys!

Baked Cod and Tater Rounds

For the fish:

* Fillets of fish - I used cod tonight, but any fillet will work. 

* Butter, olive oil, or whatever floats your boat

* Seasonings - I love tarragon, dill, and garlic on fish, but simple salt and pepper are just as yummy.  Play around and mix-and-match.  Try cumin, chili, and lime zest. 

* Bread or cracker crumbs, or panko - optional

* If using the above, a couple of beaten eggs for an egg wash, also optional.

For the taters:

* Potatoes

* Seasonings - salt and pepper, a blend, ranch or Italian seasoning packet, play with it. 

* Butter, olive oil, or whatever floats your boat.

* Shredded cheese for the second half, if you like. 

     I was going to use a cookie sheet, but all the butter drained over to the sides, and that just wasn’t going to cut it, so I used a 9x13 cake pan for the potatoes and an 8x8 cake pan for my fish.  The two pans were able to fit side-by-side on the oven rack without crowding.  You’ll have to adjust your own baking dish sizes based on how much food you need to cook.  Since I am only cooking for three, I have some flexibility.  You can use two racks in the oven, just move your potatoes down for their second half of cooking and keep a nose out for scorching. 

     So first, start the oven preheating to 425.  Peel and slice your potatoes about ½ inch thick and rinse them.  Put some butter in the baking dish you’re using for them, and put it in the oven to melt.  You won’t need a whole lot, just a couple tablespoons for a 9x13 dish was plenty.  While that’s melting, pat your potatoes dry.  Normally I don’t bother with the pat dry step, but the water droplets in hot butter are not fun.  Trust me. 

     Season your butter.  That’s right, not the potatoes, the butter.  Just sprinkle all over the surface of the melted butter so that there’s a nice even coating of yum on top. 

     Put your potatoes in and shimmy them around a bit, or if you’re a bit compulsive like I am and need every potato evenly coated with butter, flip them all over once to get them coated.  It’s really not necessary, though.  You’ll be turning them half way through. 

     Put the potatoes in the oven and set the time for 20 minutes. 

     Sometime before that 20 minutes runs out, get out your fish.  Season it really well on both sides: garlic, salt, pepper, dill, lemon juice or zest if you like.  The seasonings are up to your imagination.  What sounds good tonight?  Just make sure you dust both sides well, particularly if you’re cooking a thick fillet, so they’ll have good flavor when they’re done.

     If you’re using breading, this is where you want to dredge your fish in the egg then roll them in your crumbs until they’re well coated.  I sprinkled mine with parsley after I coated them with crumbs because I think it’s pretty.  Unfortunately, I also used a bit too much, but it's still pretty, and yummy.  Put your fish in a lightly buttered pan.


     When your timer goes off, flip the potatoes and pop the fish in the oven.  Bake for another 15 minutes.  

     Half your meal is easily done all at the same time, and your stove-top is clear for cooking your veggies or other sides, but to me, the best part of it all was that my three-year-old actually ate it.  Even the potatoes.  He won’t touch a potato unless it’s a McDonald’s French fry.  Not Sonic, not home fries, not KFC, only McDonald’s.  I really do wonder if they put something in their food.  He won’t eat nuggets from anywhere else either, not even homemade ones with a Parmesan cheese crust.  *sigh*  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Talk to me!