Sunday, April 10, 2016

The Tolling of the Bells - Wants vs. Needs


     I thought I would try to actually do a weekly blog post.  I know in the past I usually have just done a post when I have something particular to share, like a successfully completed project, progress on a goal, a delicious recipe, et cetera.  But there are often times that I have no successes to share, or even failures.  There are weeks when all I’ve accomplished is just another successful week of life.  I suppose that’s really not something to sneer at, huh?  I mean, if I hadn’t managed to do that much, I’d be dead, so here’s to another week alive! *holds up her mason jar of sweet tea in salute*
     I know I'll probably forget, because good intentions have a way of getting derailed by life's interventions, but today I do actually have something on my mind.  Wants versus needs.  Folks are clamoring for higher minimum wage, because they just can’t seem to live on what they earn.  Then when they get the higher minimum wages, prices go up, hours get cut, benefits suffer, and they still can’t live on what they earn.  You know what the problem is?  No one taught them how to live on what they earn.
     We’ve gone from a culture where it was shame and dishonor on a family to be on the dole to a culture that considers it some kind of a mark of pride to exploit the system and get as much as they can out of it.  I’m of the old-school mindset.  I’ve never been on food stamps or welfare or any form of government assistance other than a year and a half on WIC while my son was eating us out of house and home in baby food.  And do you know my conscience ate me alive every time I used that card?  I felt like I was stealing.  As soon as he started eating solids, I quit redeeming the vouchers. 
     Folks say they can’t live on minimum wage, but the thing is folks just don’t know how to make do.  I lost count of how many times someone expressed surprise that a dish or dessert I sent with my husband to some function or other was homemade.  It was astounding to some of them, like it never occurred to them that *somebody* had to make the dish from scratch before it became a prefab convenience item in the grocery store’s freezer or boxed on the shelf. 
     Do you know what the average cost of a loaf of bread in the USA is?  According to Google, it’s around $2.37.  Do you know how much it costs to make a simple bread recipe?  About 50 to 75 cents, and that’s two standard loaves.  Folks will say, “But it takes too long.”  No, it doesn’t take that long.  I have an excellent on-demand recipe that takes five minutes to throw together.  Let it rise two hours, stick it in the fridge, and pull off a lump to bake whenever you want it.  I’ve smooshed it out into sandwich rounds that take 10-15 minutes to bake and make wonderful lunches.  Time is what you make of it.
     But learning to cook and saving on groceries is only part of it.  We’ve become such an instant gratification society that folks mistake their wants with needs.  Do we need Internet?  Some would argue yes, because so much nowadays demands that we have access to the Internet.  We can’t even get our Tricare information in paper form anymore.  We have to go online and have an e-mail address.  But do I really need Internet?  No.  McDonalds, the coffee shop, two or three gas stations, the cell phone store, the library, even the churches have Wi-Fi, and we live near a T-I-N-Y town.  If I can go jack some free Wi-Fi in Tinytown, Texas, I’m pretty sure folks can jack Wi-Fi most anywhere except possibly rural Montana and remote Alaska.  There’s $60-$80 a month that could stretch the grocery budget, pay a utility, or get put in savings.
     Do folks need cable TV, Netflix, Hulu, a smartphone, that data plan on your cell phone, all those minutes?  No, probably not.  We dumped our smartphones and cut our monthly bills by $120 by downgrading back to flip phones with no data plan.  We don’t have any TV subscription, no subscription movie services, no Game Fly or any of that.  Those are wants.  Folks can live without them just fine, they just don’t want to.
     Folks don’t need their hair professionally done, fancy nails, a steady supply of new clothes, that brand new car, an iPad, expensive sneakers, or that new gaming system.  Folks don’t need a million different beauty supplies, half a dozen cleaning supplies for every room, little chemical pots to plug into outlets and make their house smell.  If it comes down to it, it’s not necessary to shave every night, buy smelly lotions from fancy stores that you can smell before you can even see them, or have that moisturizing body wash that costs $5 or more for less than two cups.
     You know what folks need:  A roof overhead, food on the table, warmth in the winter, and a way to pay for those things.  Learn to cook, buy real food or, even better, grow it.  Buy in bulk and eat at home.  Skip the cafeteria and pack a lunch.  Ditch the smart phone, clean with vinegar or bleach, and ditch the fancy, smelly stuff.  Jewelry can’t be eaten.  That $20 worth of makeup won’t help cover the electric bill.  $10 a month for a Hulu or Netflix subscription doesn’t sound like much, but it boggles my brain when people say they can’t afford groceries but they keep shelling out for streaming movies. 
     Don’t say “I can’t afford food,” but go out on Friday nights.  Don’t say “I can’t live within my means,” then buy a new shirt instead of sewing on a lost button or buying new jeans instead of patching the old ones.  Don’t trade up for a new car every year, then complain because the electric got cut off again due to late payments.
     People love to talk about “the struggle” but in truth many have never struggled a day in their lives.  They need to take their entitled tails to a place where people really are struggling to live.  They need to recognize that it is no one else’s responsibility to bail them out.  Giving “government” funds to sinking businesses is stealing from one to pay for someone else’s bad choices.  Giving “government” funds to able-bodied people who won’t earn it is penalizing producers and rewarding laziness.  Government ordering businesses to double their payroll is just as bad, because it still has to come from somewhere.  The trickledown lands on the head of the people at the bottom, and those cost increases are going to hurt the little folks more than anyone else.  And guess what?  They still won’t be able to afford to live, because suddenly the cost of everything will have gone up, their hours will have been cut, their benefits will cost more, and they’ll still be yelling for more money, because they don’t seem to understand that. 
     People need to find their dignity again.  That’s most definitely a need. 
     These are some of the things we’re trying to withdraw from on our little homestead.  We want to reduce our dependence on the rat-race as well as reduce our contribution to it.  We’re evaluating our wants and our needs, deciding if those wants are even really worth it, merging them together where we can.  We’re still painfully in our infancy in this.  It’s amazing how much more capable my grandparents were than I am.  In just a single generation, we as an entire culture have lost so much knowledge and skills and abilities. 

     Once it was a matter of necessity to put away enough food for your family for the year.  Then it became a matter of pride to not have to work in the earth.  That fast, we lost so much, and trying to learn with no mentor to guise us is trial and error.  I still haven’t even successfully grown my first tomato plant, though I am trying again this year.  We will get there, if only through sheer determination and a heck of a lot of trial and error.  We’ll get there.  And you know what?  We’ll be danged proud of ourselves.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Talk to me!